Saturday, March 24, 2007

I give!

After slogging through figuring out the chart corrections, then researching corrections to the corrections of the left/right sleeve cables (thanks to all of you!) I have determined that I don't like how this sweater is turning out. I'm partway into the second diamond and the start of the sleeve cable.

Here's my biggest rub....my raglan increases don't match. It has something to do with them meeting the reverse stockinette. On the lines where you kfb into a purl stich, then purl that increase on subsequent rows, there isn't a nice stacked line of stockinette increases. It almost creates little holes. I have studied your picture posts closely and it appears that everyone's does this. It doesn't bother me so much when I view your progress....maybe if I finished the thing it would be so minor it wouldn't bother me like it does now. But I really don't want to continue all that knitting and find that yes, I still hate it.

Is it just me? Did I miss something in the directions to prevent this?

I'm considering two things, both of which involve a lot of frogging as step one! Then...placing a few more knit stiches before the center diamond cables on the sleeves to make the raglan line bordered by stockinette on both sides, (I haven't actually figured out if there is enough "room" to do this at the top of the shoulders) and eliminating the secondary cables on the sleeves. OR eliminating the center diamond cable on the sleeve entirely, and start the secondary cable at the same point that they begin at the waist shaping.

Thoughts? You are all doing beautiful work. I am getting irritated with myself, which means I need to take a different path instead of continuing down this road!

4 comments:

Gauss said...

About the mismatched increase lines: you didn't miss anything in the instructions. Mine also looked like that when I did the increases as required. I wasn't so keen on the look. You always get a "ragged" line when a stockinette increase is followed by reverse stockinette, so I decided to do the stockinette increase one stitch earlier. That way, one stitch is always preserved and gives that nice edge. I'll try to post a picture later today...

Unknown said...

Ok, I get it in theory. The directions say to increase before and after each marker. So as you approached the marker between the stockinette body and the rev stockinette sleeve, did you kfb in the two stitches before the marker instead? Or kfb in the stich two stiches before the marker, then k1, slip the marker, and kfb in the first stitch following the marker?
Thanks!

Gauss said...

I believe I did something along the lines of: knit increase (k and k through the back loop in the same stitch), k1, slip marker, purl increase (purl and purl through the back loop in the same stitch). On the other hand, I think the pattern lists all the increases as knit increases; I just liked the look of purled increases better. I hope one of these works for you...

Unknown said...

Thank you! I did it...frogged all the way back to the neck. I have a couple of purl rounds, then I'm increasing again. At least I didn't have to cast on again--that seems to take me forever!