One of the changes I made to my sweater involves the sleeves. I found them a little tight at the underarm, so I decided to cast on a few stitches before joining the sleeve in the round. The result is.. a black hole:
Now, I don't call this "a black hole" because it's a hole, or because it's black; I think the name is appropriate because one of the stitches I cast on simply disappeared! I cast on six, I knit for a while, and as I was getting ready to make the decreases I realized that my count was off: there were only five extra stitches!
Duh, you dropped a stitch, you might think, and I was thinking the same thing. But no, there was no dropped stitch, and I spent an hour looking. Anyway, the sleeve turned out allright. I took a break from knitting to weave in some ends and sew the holes at the underarms:
I still don't know what happened to my stitch.